The Key has grown from a pilot project, funded by central government, to become an independent company now serving more than 45% of schools in England.
- Founded in 2007 as part of a government-funded initiative to pioneer a new way to support schools in England, The Key’s service for school leaders has gone from strength to strength
- The Key website went live in 2008, enabling colleagues around the country to read hundreds of answers to other school leaders’ questions
- In 2009 we began building our membership on a subscription basis; schools joined individually or as part of a local authority agreement
- In 2011 we expanded our team and developed a second service, devoted to supporting school governors. Both services are based on the same model. We answer questions asked by members, and publish the answers as articles on our websites
- In 2013 we held our first event, bringing together experts and school leaders from across the country to share practical ideas and experience
- In April 2014 we launched a blog, Key insights, to share news and ideas, and insights we gather daily about the concerns and interests of our members
- In April 2016 we launched CPD Toolkit, providing schools with everything they need to run high-impact, in-school training for teachers, leaders and support staff
- In April 2016 we merged with WebBased, to provide online platform solutions that support organisations to work more effectively and save money.